From:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Moerland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 1994 10:17:26 EST
      Robert Gaskins remarked that the problem with the Spartans is that they
spend too much time in their own end, and blames this on the offense.  I'd
disagree.  This is the fault of the defense.  It is the defensemen who have to
get the first passes out of the zone.  This has been a problem with the
Spartans for the last few years.  They have a lot of defensemen who can shoot
the puck, but noone who can take care of it in their own zone.  You can't get
your offense going if you can't get control of the puck.  I wouldn't be
concerned about the offense, they'll be fine.  If you don't believe me, just
look at some of the boxes.  We're not getting many shots these days, because we
don't have the puck, but a good percentage of those taken are going in.  When
they get the opportunities they're scoring, they're just not getting the
opportunities.
     On another note, the open offensive style that the Spartans are attempting
to develop is not new to them.  This is traditional Spartan hockey:  Good
offense, great goaltending, and adequate defense.  The more defensive style
that they have been playing in recent years (what I call Michigan State hockey,
as opposed to Spartan hockey) is an anomaly.  They are attempting to get back
to the style that won them 8 out of 10 CCHA playoff championships from 1981-
1990.  They do need an enforcer (Don Gibson, where are you?), however, and
certainly need to solidify their puck control in their own zone.
                                        --Steve Moerland
GO GREEN!!                                                         GO WHITE!!
GO GREEN!!!                                                        GO WHITE!!!
GO GREEN!!!                                                        GO WHITE!!!