From:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John Deetjen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 15:56:04 EST
This is just a short post expressing my surprise at how little college
hockey seems to matter to a lot of people.  When I saw the attendance
figure for the championship game from last night, I was puzzled.  Doesn't
anyone seem to think college hockey is worth watching?  It seems not.
I know two east coast teams would have little or no interest on the west
coast, but why would they schedule the tournament this way?  To get only
3000 people in attendance at an arena which holds over 17000, shows that
the people who schedule the GW Freeze-out need to look at who they're
bringing out to LA.  Three east coast teams plus a mid-west team aren't
exactly the best strategy for getting the most fans possible, even if the
championship game is likely to have to arch-rivals who can't stand each
other.  For an area which doesn't seem likely to see any hockey for a
while (now that the Kings are locked out), one would think that the city
of Los Angeles might want to go out and see a great game of hockey.  If
they did, they'd be surprised at how fun it is.
Back to my question, I don't know if people in this country really think
college hockey is worth watching.  If you look at college basketball vs.
the pro game, you'd see that the enthusiasm is ten times greater for the
college game than for the pros.  If that were the case with college hockey
the rebounding enthusiasm for pro hockey should translate into an
unbelievable following for the college game.  However, the only hockey
news we ever hear about on ESPN seems to be about the lock-out.  Instead
of talking about the never-moving talks, why not talk about the minor
leagues and colleges?  It helped many baseball fans who crave the game,
I think they'd be surprised at how much it would help hockey fans.