From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 1994 00:45:46 -0500
Pam Sweeney writes:
>My brother-in-law (once and future hockey-l'er William Sangrey, visiting for
>Thanksgiving -- and the College Hockey Showcase ;-) ) and I interpret that rule
>to mean that V2 is the one who made the team short-handed, and thus would be let
>out of the box. We then think the answer DOES change if H didn't get the minor,
>as V1 would have been the first player to make his team short-handed.

Since the situation was 5x3 when the goal was scored (order of penalties:
H1, V1, V2), both V1 and V2 caused their team to be shorthanded.  And
since V1's minor was the first to make his team shorthanded, that is the
one that expires when the goal is scored.

The rule book defines shorthanded to be "below the numerical strength
of [the] opponents on the ice at the time the goal is scored."  4-2-c
then provides for the expiration of the first minor penalty which
caused the team to be shorthanded.