From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 14:19:51 -0500
Bob Gross writes:
>My understanding is that the major difference between schools like Dartmouth
>(with which I am familiar) and some schools in HE (ALL HE schools?) is one of
>athletic scholarships.
>There may be scholarships at non-Ivy ECAC schools, but I am
>not sure (anyone know?).

There are 3 or 4 ECAC schools that do give athletic scholarships.  RPI
is one of them.  I would consider this to be more a difference between
the Ivies (basically) and everyone else than between the ECAC and HE.

Also, within the last couple of years, there was a PSA who was offered
a full scholarship to Merrimack.  He turned it down to walk on at
another school - a private school that costs about $90-100,000 for 4
years.  So while there may be advantages to being able to offer an
athletic scholarship, it is not a magic wand that enables you to
attract anyone you want.  (Now, a new rink... :-))