From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 13:23:00 -0500
Steve Rockey writes:
>I think the issue is not that the requirements for admission to
>Clarkson are the same as Harvard but that the requirement for
>admission of  hockey players is roughly the same as the rest of the
>students and this is a stated goal of the ECAC.

I would be interested to know whether this is definitely NOT true for
HE.  My impression is that it is actually true or nearly the case at
Merrimack, and it may be at other HE schools too.  The difference
seems to be that either the ECAC has effectively mandated it for
its schools, or that ECAC schools have unanimously agreed to do this.
HE allows the schools to make this decision on their own, with the
obvious contingency that the minimum NC$$ standards are met.  Yet it
doesn't mean that all HE schools are admitting players with
qualifications below those of the rest of the students.  They *could*,
however, and this seems to be what Steve is referring to.

Perhaps if I have a chance sometime, I will look into this a little
further...but I don't know how much the league or schools would be
willing to make public (re: qualifications of incoming hockey players
as opposed to general student population).  The results could be quite
revealing.  Maybe in actuality, schools in both leagues are basically
following the same sets of requirements.

The issue Steve brings up is an interesting one...I believe it is not
incorrect to say that part of the reason for the ECAC-HE split was
that the Ivies/ECAC wished to sort of mandate these requirements for
admission of hockey players, while the HE schools believed such a
mandate was not necessary.

I am curious to know what would happen in the ECAC if one of the
schools was to ignore the index and start admitting whoever they
wanted.  Are there guidelines and procedures for dealing with this?