From:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Old <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Nov 1994 21:30:04 EST
The Irish come through in a must win game.  They are now 1-5 in CCHA play.
Irish goals by Ling and Gruber.

Overall, not a bad performance by the Irish.  There are still some problems
with this team though.  The defense played considerably better than they did
in earlier games that I saw.  Ferris only got 18 shots, and Wade Salzman was
good in net.   Salzman looks to be getting more comfortable and agressive in
challenging shooters.  I was told that Frosh goalie Eisler has an ankle injury
making Wade THE man for the foreseeable future. (If anyone knows the details of
the Eisler injury please let me know.  I've been signed off for about 2 weeks,
so I don't know what's been posted.) The Defense looked better in tying up the
play along the boards and in controlling the slot.  For much, but not all, of
the game they did a very good job staying on the puck and finishing their
checks.  Gruber and Welch stand out in my mind as having good games.

There seemed to more problems getting the offense going tonight.  Neither team
was real aggressive tonight.  I've been told that the Joyce Center has been
slow lately, but that sounds like a lame excuse for two flat teams.  The Notre
Dame "money" line of Morshead-Ling-Harbert did not play as a unit much at all.
Terry Lorenz got some play with the first line starters, as did McCarthy and
Noble.  I don't know if this is coach Schaefer's way of getting some produc-
tion out of the other lines, but I sure miss seeing those three play together.
On a key powerplay in the 3rd period with the score at 1-1, they actually had
3 defenseman on the ice (Del Grande, Gruber, and Coe).  This one did not score.
Gruber got the game winner later during a 4-4 on a nice pass from Andrusiak.

A big win and the team looked better, but I still have not seen 60 minutes of
good hockey from the Irish.  They were very flat through much of the 2nd period
and a better team would have put them away right there.  The lines have still
not gelled and there are still plenty of defensive lapses that can be taken
advantage of by good hockey teams.  Now if only our football team can squeek
by the other FSU in the same way!

James Old
University of Notre Dame