From:
Rob Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rob Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Oct 1994 12:37:42 -0500
Carol says:

>ow about posting the article from the WSJ?

I'm game!

From today's UW Hockey Preview in the Wisconsin State Journal:

<stuff deleted>

But, Dnever has a goaltender, Finnish junior Sinuhe Wallinheimo, who has a
chance to be a fan favorite at the (Dane County) Coliseum, just as Michigan's
Robbie Moore was in (Denver coach) Gwozdecky's playing days.  Wallinheimo loves
to play the crowd.  In his sophomore year, he led the wave at North Dakota,
regularly shot pucks at the opposing goaltender and was never afraid to
acknowlegde the crowd.  One opposing goalie, Lee Schill of Alaska-Anchorage was
so upset by Wallinheimo's antics that he punched the goalie after a game last
season.  So, if he is nothing, Wallinheimo is colorful.

"I've heard the stories about his leading the orchestra and waving to the
crowd, but some players raise their level of play when they get involved with
the fans," said Gwozdecky.  "I'm not saying he's like these guys, but Sinuhe is
kind of like a Connors or a McEnroe who thrived on playing to the crowd."

<end quoted material>

One other note, supposedly because of all the new names and faces on the
Badgers this year, Coach Sauer is allowing the names of the players to appear
on the back of their home jerseys.

Rob Holmes
Dept. of Meteorology
UW-Madison