From:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen Heasley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Oct 1994 07:41:21 -0700
From the Gazette-Telegraph 10/6/94

Former CC star gets career boost from old college rival

   Chris Hynnes couldn't have known what playing well against the
University of Denver would mean one day.
   An all-America defensman as a senior at Colorado College in 1992-93,
Hynnes has had his professional career resurrected this  year by former
DU coach Frank Serratore.
   The Quebec Nordiques signed Hynnes after graduation.  They also released
him.
   So Hynnes played a year in his hometown of Thunder Bay, Ontario, and
spent time with his father, who is battling brain cancer.
   But he still hungered for a shot at the National Hockey League.  Hundreds
of miles away, forces were conspiring to help.
   First, DU fired Serratore.  Then, the International Hockey League
expanded.
   When Serratore was hired to coach the expansion Minnesota Moose, he
remembered Hynnes and went after him.
   Last Saturday, Hynnes and Serratore returned to Denver for the Moose's
opener against the Denver Grizzlies.  And though Minnesota lost, 4-1,
Hynnes enjoyed his brief visit with college friends.
   "It's going really good right now," he said.  "The organization is
really good.  They try to make everybody feel at home, feel like they're
part of the team.
   "I played against him (Serratore) in college.  I know that's why I
got the opportunity to play here."
   Serratore said signing Hynnes was the right thing to do.
   "He's a coach's player," Serratore said.  "He's real sound defensively.
And he's generating some offense.  He's going to be a good player at this
level."
   Minnesota, unlike most IHL clubs, isn't affiliated with an NHL team.
That keeps the Moose from getting top prospects, but Hynnes says it's an
ideal situation for him.
   "I signed with Minnesota as a free agent," he said.  "That means anybody
can pick you.  You don't have to worry about just one team deciding it
likes you or doesn't like you."

(end of  article)

It's good to see some of the players from here being able to continue
their careers.

Karen Heasley
Colorado College '95
[log in to unmask]   *  [log in to unmask]