From:
Joe Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 8 Sep 1994 18:18:00 -0400
    Coaching Changes

I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of all of the Division 1
coaching changes that have occured since the end of the last season.  With
the generous help of Mike Machnik and Wayne Smith, I've made a start.
I apologize for the eastern (especially Hockey East) bias and ask your
help in completing the list.  We know that there are a number of
omissions (the Denver and North Dakota staffs, for example) and
expect that there may be some mistakes (have we followed Jim
Roque correctly?), but this should be a framework for building a
comprehensive list.  It's really amazing....I count over 30 individuals
affected, and we have a long way to go.

BOSTON COLLEGE - Head Coach Steve Cedorchuck resigned and was
replaced by Mike Milbury, who resigned two months later.  Milbury was
replaced by Bowling Green coach Jerry York, who brought  Scott Paluch
along to be an assistant coach, replacing Mark Leach; Leach joined the
Detroit Red Wings organization as a scout.

MERRIMACK - Assistant Coach Brian Daccord left to become a player-coach
in Europe and Andy Heinze was promoted to Daccord's spot.  Former Lowell
assistant coach Mike Geragosian joined the staff as a volunteer assistant
coach.

PROVIDENCE - Hired former Lake Superior associate head coach Paul Pooley
to replace Mike McShane, who resigned in April.  Pooley retained Dave
Peters from McShane's staff, but replaced Jim Hughes with Colby assistant
 Dave Berard; Hughes latched on at RPI.

NEW HAMPSHIRE - Assistant coach Jim Tortarella left to become an assistant
coach at Colby, replacing Berard.  Chris Serino was hired (promoted?) to
replace Tortarella.

MAINE - Former captain Guy Perron joined the staff as a volunteer, replacing
Mike LaZazzera.

RPI - Head coach Buddy Powers left to take over at RPI when York moved to
BC.  Assistant coach Dan Fridgen was promoted to head coach.  Restricted-
earnings coach Steve Duncan became a full-time assistant and former
Providence assistant Jiom Hughes moved into Duncan's former position.

YALE - Tim Taylor returned to the head coaching job after a year's absence
while he was coaching the U.S. Olympic team.

PRINCETON - Hired former Minnesota administrative assistant coach John
Hamre as an assistant coach.

MIAMI - Hired long-time Minnesota assistant Mark Mazzoleni to replace
George Gwozdecky, who moved on to Denver.  Mazzolieni brought former
Wisconsin assistant Dave Lassonde along to help coach the Redskins.

LAKE SUPERIOR - Promoted Ron Rolston from assistant coach to associate
head coach, filling the role previously played by Pooley, who left for PC.
Rolston's spot was taken by Jim Roque, who was hired away from Michigan
Tech.

BOWLING GREEN - Replaced York with Powers.

DENVER - Fired Frank Serratore and replaced him with Gwozdecky, who
had been at Miami.

MINNESOTA - Replaced Mazzoleni with Mark Guentzel; lost Hamre to
Princeton.

MICHIGAN TECH - Hired Roque as an assistant coach; replaced him with
Scott White when Roque left for Lake Superior.

NORTH DAKOTA - Long-time head coach Gino Gasparini resigned and was
replaced by his former assistant Dean Blais, who was most recently head
coach of the International Falls (MN) high school team.

WISCONSIN - Lassonde left to join Mazzoleni's staff at Miami.  Northern
Michigan assistant Pat Ford was hired to replace Lassonde.

NORTHERN MICHIGAN - Ford left to work with Jeff Sauer at Wisconsin.