From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 1994 10:34:08 -0400
Robb Dunn writes:
>On Tue, 6 Sep 1994, Mike Machnik wrote:
>> The UNH hockey team has planned to play all of its 1994-95 home games
>> at rinks in Manchester, NH, and Portland, ME.
>                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Ouch!  Playing games in an arena in another state!  I realize that it's
>not too far from Manchester to Portland (what is it -- an hour and a
>half?), but to see a school have to play in another state is disheartening.

I did wonder how the UNH people felt about that, but then again, UNH
has played some home games against Maine in Portland over the last
couple of years.  That's even worse - playing a home game against a
team in their own state. :-)  (That will happen in the WCHA this
season as Minnesota-Duluth "hosts" Wisconsin at the Bradley Center on
2/19/95.)

This season, UNH will have 9 games in Manchester and 4 games in
Portland.  Only one of those is a nonconference game - Clarkson goes
to Portland to play the Wildcats on 11/27/94.

Since some have asked, UNH is located in Durham, NH, which is near
Portsmouth on the coast and roughly in between Manchester and Portland
as the crow flies.  Manchester is about an hour west up route 101, and
Portland is about 1-1.5 hours east up 95.

I believe I have directions to the Portland rink (the Civic Center?),
but I seem to have lost directions to the rink in Manchester.  If
anyone can verify these directions to Portland and send me directions
to Manchester, I will pass them on to Jim Teresco so they can be added
to the HOCKEY-L TEAMINFO file for this season.  I am sure this will
come up a number of times during the season since every HE team plays
in Manchester or Portland at least once.

PORTLAND, ME
95N to 295, take exit 7 off 295.  Go straight and at the 5th set of
lights, turn right onto Middle Street.  At the 3rd set of lights, the
Civic Center will be on the right (on Spring Street).  There is plenty
of parking nearby.
<<<<< Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors (station TBA for 94-95) >>>>>