From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 1994 11:43:12 CDT
From the Star Tribune this morning in the Minnesota Scene column:

EVELETH'S GRANT NAMED TO HOCKEY HALL

Wally Grant, who played for the Eveleth Golden Bears high school hockey
dynasty in the 1940s, is one of three who will be inducted into the U.S.
Hockey Hall of Fame in Eveleth (Minnesota) in October. Grant will be joined by
former Harvard star Joe Cavanaugh and former RPI and Cornell coach Ned
Harkness.

Grant, who played in the first state tournament in 1945, played at Michigan
when the Wolverines won the first NCAA hockey title in 1948. He worked for
General Motors for 37 years in the Detroit area.

Cavanaugh, from Warwick, R.I., is an attorney who has been a youth coach since
1982. He never played hockey beyond his All-America days at Harvard.

Harkness started the hockey program at RPI in 1950 and later coached at
Cornell, winning NCAA titles at RPI in 1954 and at Cornell in 1967 and 1970.
Born in Ottawa, Ontario, Harkness became a U.S. citizen in 1949.
<end quoted material>

Well, I guess the three inductees represent a real cross-section of college
hockey this year! :-)

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!