From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Aug 1994 17:27:35 -0400
I found you post very fascinating.

Although I very much love stats like seeing who gets/got how many 1st round
draft picks on their team, I also see it from another angle.

I'll take MSU as an example since they have had the most in the past 10 years.

With more 1st rounders than anyone else, MSU has won only one national title
in the past ten years, while LSSU has won 3 and 7 other teams have each won 1.

Some would say Ron Mason is a great coach since he recruits/develops 1st round
picks...
Some would say Ron Mason is a bad coach because with all those 1st-rounders,
he has not won more than one national title.

Actually, neither is true.

The fact of the matter is that the NHL game is different than the college game.
1st of all, size means more in the NHL (just look at Bill Guerin (2nd line) and
Keith Tkachuk (only #5 in scoring on team when at BU) and what impact they have
had in the NHL) than in college.

MOST of us have seen (I am sure) that some of the best college players are not
future NHL'ers due to size or not being *quite* "NHL" speed.  If you took a
team of all the best college players in the past ten years to never make it to
the NHL, I'm sure you could form a team that would win the national title on
the college level every year.

Please don't get me wrong, I *LOVE* stats like "who has had the most 1st-
rounders" or "who has had the most future NHL'ers," but I also agree that
they are just *extremely* fun stats, and not a true measure of anything except
who has had the most 1st-rounders.

Just my 2 cents

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

PS - Heck, you could make an OK fantasy NHL team out of former collegians who
were not drafted in the 1st round...  Adam Oates, Brett Hull, Shawn McEachern,
Tony Amonte, Steve Heinze, Ted Donato, Marty McInnis, Chris Terreri, ?Ed
Belfour?, Kevin Stevens, and many, many others that I am being overwhelmed with
as I sit and try to think of them.

PPS - Please keep up the stats though, I love 'em.