From:
"Eric J. Lentz" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric J. Lentz
Date:
Tue, 9 Aug 1994 21:49:17 -0500
A recent article quoted these rinks and capacities
>BC (7,884), BU (3,684), NU (6,000),Harvard (~3,000)
and made me wonder about who has the biggest home rink, largest home
attendence, etc.

Two years ago I was at a game at the Dane County Coliseum here in Madison,
and they were celebrating the start of the Coliseum's 25th year and all of
the events it had hosted etc, etc.,  when they stated that Wisconsin had
led the nation in attendence for the previous 24 years (since the building
opened) and I assume did so likewise that year.  But last year, I assume,
was not the 26th year since the new Mariucci arena at Minn. opened last
year with about 9300 seats several hundred larger than the 8600 to 8700 the
Coliseum seats.  (I've also heard that Minn. added two rows of standing
room in the back of the rink to insure its dominance).  Please confirm what
i've heard.

Is the leader in attendence a total figure, average?
  Do tournaments hosted get included?
  Will UMD's second home game with WIS be added to their figures (it's at
the Bradley Center (18 thousand) in milwaukee)?

BTW, a few hundred of those seats, including mine :-(, will be taken out
this year as the ice is widened from 85' to 96' or 97' and new locker rooms
are built this summer.

--Eric

UW Band and Hockey fan

'Hey that trip to Albany wasn't too bad, let's see 'bout gettin' to Providence'

'Sh**!'
'What?'
'Rollers.'
'Sh**!'
'Yep!'

--jake and elwood, the 'Blues Brothers'

if you've seen it once on the bus you've seen it twice!