From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 91 13:37:00 CST
Jim Baines writes:

> UMinn's band was unquestionably a top-notch group.  (I sat on the same
> side as they did in game two, and right next to our band in game one.)
> I expected them to sulk after game two's loss, but they stayed right
> with the Gophers until the bitter end.  At times, I found them to be
> a little premature in their actions (i.e. playing their school song
> when they haven't scored in several minutes, or near the beginning of
> a power play when they hadn't scored yet), but they really knew how to
> keep their spirits high and play their tunes exceptionally well.

It's good to hear that the band did their part.  Gopher fans sometimes find
fault with the band for inactivity, but it sounds as though they made a good
showing in Orono.  They sometimes play the Rouser when there has been no
goal in order to pump up the team and fans; this may be what you are referring
to as premature.  Had they played only after goals, they would have been
mighty quiet on Friday night. :-)  In contrast, we have had visiting bands
in Mariucci Arena that played their fight songs at nearly every stoppage
of play.

Erik Biever "Cleaver"                    --GOLDEN GOPHER   MMMMM    MMMMM
St. Paul, Minnesota - Home of the       --HOCKEY            MM MM  MM MM
1991 WCHA & NCAA Championships         --Fastest Game      MM   MMMM   MM
BITNET:    e-biev@uminn1              --In Town           MM   MMMMMM   MM
INTERNET:  [log in to unmask]                      MMMMM          MMMMM