From:
Baldwin Charles A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 13:50:26 -0400
>      making the NCAA tourney this year?  as far as the league goes, i like
>      1. clarkson, 2. rpi, 3. vermont 4. harvard
>
>      can harvard overcome the significant loss of firepower?

Out of these teams, I can only presume to speak for Harvard, and these are of
course opinions.

Consider the top goalscorers last year: Farrell: 29 (single-season power play
goal record of 20), Martins: 25, McCann: 22 (single-season goal record for a
defenseman), Gustafson: 22. (I believe these numbers are all correct.) While
they lose Farrell and McCann, Martins and Gustafson both return, and
furthermore, its impressive that Gustafson scored his goals while playing
on the second power play unit -- if he plays that way on the main unit, I
think he can fill Farrell's sniper position, especially with Martins (his
regular linemante) feeding him.

The senior class is the strongest offensively since the 1991 senior class
that had Donato, Ciavaglia, Vukonich, and Weisbrod. Brad Konik has missed
basically two full years due to injuries, but he put up fine numbers as a
rookie, and after Martins ranked in my book as the second best freshman their
rookie year -- apparently he returns in good shape, at least last I heard.
Also, players like Kirk Neilson and Tom Holmes are really maturing. I think one
can't underestimate the loss of Farrell, Baird, McCann (what a one-time shot
on the PP), and Maguire, but I think there's as much if not more offense
waiting to step up. Plus, give me Steve Martins at five other guys with their
skates on backwards and I still might give Harvard the nod. :-)

Cheers.

sandy baldwin