From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 1994 01:36:32 -0400

>      can anyone tell me who else bu has signed besides kealty and drury?
>      will any players (pomichter or brennan) sign with the nhl and hurt the
>      terriers chances of being the clear favorite for the NCAA title?

BU has 5 incoming recruits this year (+ there's always an unknown walk-on just
about every year who winds up on the practice line or a fill-in for 4th line).

Forwards:

Chris Drury  (drafted 1994, 3rd rnd, Quebec)
Mike Sylvia  (rated but left undrafted)

Defensemen:

Jeff Kealty  (drafted 1994, 1st rnd, Quebec)
Chris Kelleher  (drafted 1993, 5th rnd, Pittsburgh)

Goalie:

Tom Noble  (drafted 1993, 11th rnd, Chicago)

As of this moment, none of the BU players have signed to the NHL early.
Pomichter is still a big threat to go, and I would not be shocked to see him
take off at the end of the summer.
Brennan, however, fully intends to return (And his Dad fully intends that he
will return to college) at this point.  Not to knock him, but after his
performance in the Championship game, I am sure his NHL stock fell thousands of
dollars.  It was one of his worst performances ever... and it was in front of
the largest audience (present and TV) of his life.  He has to return to at
*least* return his NHL stock (how much they give him) back to a respectable
level.

Will BU be clear favorites...

Oi Yivay...  (sp?)

Positives at this point in time:
   Experience (mostly seniors)
   Depth, especially on defense (8 strong and capable defensemen makes this the
     second deepest year at BU since I've been involved (1988).  This is not
     the 1990-91 team (9 deep at D, a 2-time All American on 3rd line, and
     winners of the "best defensive forward of N.E." on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th
     lines), but it is deeper than almost all of their opponents.  This year
     will also have 3 goalies who have been drafted by the NHL.)
   8 players getting experience in the Olympic Festival at this moment.
   Frustration.  Most of the team has been working out on their own or in small
     groups with what *appears* to be an unusual tenacity.  Shayne Johnson
     seems to want to be the most in-shape player in all of Hockey East while
     Joubert appears to be kicking some butts to get running and working more
     than it appeared that they have in the past.
   Jacques Joubert.  I think he will be the best captain since Mike Sullivan
     (1989-90).  He wants to win and he knows how to.  Many of us are curious
     of who will kick more butt during the year, he or Parker... most of us
     think Joubert will. :-)  The bottom line is that Jacques seems to have
     an attitude that he wants to win every single game this year and he won't
     put up with anyone giving less than 100%.  Everybody everywhere wants to
     win... but Jacques doesn't want to lose *any*.

Negatives at this point in time:

   Mostly senior group is something I do not think Parker is very used to.  He
     has not had to deal with that many players before whose playing time could
     not be cut next year.  Sometimes seniors step up to a new level...
     sometimes seniors can "go south" on you and just roll over.  You never
     know.
   Too many players to keep them all happy.  You do the math... 8 defensemen
     yet only 6 play... that leaves 2 defensemen pretty unhappy.  I think
     Parker was expecting/hoping that a couple of players would turn pro early,
     and may be a little overwhelmed if none do.
   Lack of a sniper.  Unless one of the frosh stuns us, BU will again not have
     a line to put on the ice at crunch time.  BU can win many games, but will
     probably again not be able to put teams away easily.
   8 players at the Olympic Festival.  If too many do really well, there could
     be an unexpected defection to the pros if the pros find they really like
     the way someone is performing.
   Frustration.  BU can NOT face LSSU in the tourney again.  If BU plays LSSU,
     it would be "B.C. syndrome."  As soon as something went wrong, everyone
     would say, "oh, here we go again!"  BU's ultra-predictable positional
     play does not match-up well against an LSSU defense which counts on you
     doing the appropriate move every time.  Although I hate to agree with
     Neil Goldberg, BU will have some emotional baggage to overcome.
   Intensity from a captain is a good thing 8 out of 10 times.  There is,
     however, that possibility that too much intensity can lead to dissention
     on the team.  How much would a senior take from another senior.  Who
     knows?
   Emotional fluctuations.  This is part of life in BU hockey.  There will be
     a time when they will be playing badly, and there will be a time when they
     are on a roll and seem invincible.  The question is when will each thing
     happen.  Will being a senior team make them less subject to emotional
     swings or just lethargic.  Again... who knows?

So essentially, would I pick BU to do well?  Yes.
Would I pick BU to win Hockey East?  They are the clear favorites.
Would I pick BU to win the Beanpot?  (see emotional fluctuation)
Would I pick BU to get the #1 seed in the East?  It's a descent possibility.
Would I pick BU to win the whole thing?  Well...

We'll see.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

PS - remember BU people... the national championship is decided on the ice in
the first weekend in April, not in a vote in December.