From:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Pamela Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 1994 12:32:31 CDT
Erik, Paula, Pat and I went to see some actual ICE hockey last night at Mariucci
Arena.  The Twin Cities Collegiate Development League (formerly headquartered at
Augsburg) has started play for the summer.  The league is made up of high school
(mostly recent grads, a few seniors, an occasional incoming junior), junior, Div
I and Div III players.

The highlight of last night's action for us definitely had to be seeing Gopher
forward Scott Bell back on the ice.  Bell was an alternate captain of the
Gophers as a junior in 1992-93 while playing with a very painful back which
required surgery at the end of the season.  He was red-shirted last year during
his recovery from the surgery.  He's apparently using this league to get his
legs back in shape.  We saw him score two goals in the second half (they play 2
30-minute halves), but I also noticed him short-shifting himself toward the end
of the game.  I'm sure the two-time winner of the "Most Determined Player" Award
will be get back in shape if anyone can, though!

His return and Craig Johnson's undecided status (to return after a year with the
Olympic team or to turn pro) are probably two reasons the Gopher captains
haven't been named yet.  Both were alternate captains as juniors.  I would think
that they, along with Justin McHugh, would be captain candidates.

One other item:  South St. Paul's Ryan McAlpine, younger brother of Gophers
defender Mike (and cousin of Chris) was listed on the rosters as attending
Minnesota.  It must be as a walk-on.
Fun McAlpine facts:  Ryan and Mike's father, Gary, played high school hockey
with Doug Woog at South St. Paul.  I'm not sure, but I BELIEVE he was a goalie.
He's now the head of the St. Paul police bomb squad.  (I guess THAT'S what
former goalies do...  Mike Richter says goaltending is a job where, when you
make a mistake a red light goes on above your head and 15000 people scream.
Maybe that job would be good preparation for the bomb squad. :-) )

Pam Sweeney                            Go Gophers!!!
[log in to unmask]      1993 & 1994 WCHA Playoff Champions!!!
                                  1994 NC$$ PHinal PHour!!!
                                        Ski-U-Mah!!!