From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 29 May 1994 09:38:05 -0400
I see that Canton, NY's high school hockey team was ranked #18
in the nation. What is interesting about this is that they
are actually a small school.

New York HS hockey is divided into Division I (large schools)
and Division II (smaller schools). Canton is a Division II school
and play in the Division II side of the playoffs but actually
play a Division I regular season schedule. They do this because
they are that good; playing a Division I schedule would offer
them no challenge. As it is, they roared through the Division I
schedule with relative ease. They dominated the Division II
state playoffs. There was recently reports that Canton was going
to be forced to play the Division I state playoffs because they
were D-I in the regular season. Apparently, coaches of the Div.
II teams that made it far in the playoffs were upset and thought
it was a farce. The interesting thing is that Canton was ranked
in the Division I rankings during the regular season and was
consistently in the top 2-3. They finished the season at #2.

I just thought it was interesting that they were ranked so highly,
even in comparison to schools which were much bigger than them.

--
Bri Farenell                   NO COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING ON THE NET!
[log in to unmask]      also: [log in to unmask]