From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 May 1994 00:40:14 -0400
Charlie Shub writes:
>from the may 18 NC$$ news (paraphrased without permission).  I do not have a
>rule book, so mike or somebody else more knowlegable (than me, it's
>hard to be more knowlegable than mike) may want to add some context.

Thank you...but I certainly believe there are many people here more
knowledgeable than me.  I just get to it first. :-)

>At its May 10-13 meeting in Kansas city the NC$$ mens ice hockey rules
>committee voted to
>
>change rule 4-2-e so that when 1 minor is assessed to one player on
>each team at the samr stoppage, penalties will be served without
>substitution provided no other penalties are in effect and visible on
>the penalty clock.  This will produce a 4 on 4 on ice. The committee
>rejected going to 3 on 3.  [ unclear from the article is whether 4
>coincidentals takes one down to 4 on 4 or leaves one at 5 on 5 ]

I don't know for sure, but I would guess that in this situation
(multiple coincidentals during 5x5 play), one pair would go on the
board and the rest would not affect the manpower.  We will find out.

Coincidental majors do not seem to be affected by this change.

>emphasize strict enforcement of interference at regional officiating
>clinics

Hopefully in games, too. :-)

>added a note to rule 6-35-c so a referee may stop play along the
>boards if allowing play to continue will lead to unnecessary contact
>surrounding the puck

Good and bad...good because it may prevent some unnecessary melees,
bad because it requires more judgment by the referees.

>agreed to let hockey east experiment with a shoot out for all
>conference games that end in a tie after regulation and the 54 minute
>overtime period

It does sound as if the NC$$ had to okay this before HE went ahead
with it, doesn't it?  This is what happened with the 50 min game a few
years ago, the NC$$ approved HE's experimenting with it but then HE
decided not to do it.

>added a crowd control announcement including the verbiage
>   "... Profanity, racial or sexist comments, or other
>   intimidating actions directed at officials, student athletes,
>   coaches or team representatives will not be tolerated and are
>   grounds for removal from the site."

I am guessing that this is meant to bring hockey in line with other
NC$$ sports which have similar announcements.  We heard this announced
before each game at the softball regionals at Merrimack a couple of
weekends ago.

>   [does that mean that "sieve" has got to go?
>    what about
>        i'm blind, i'm deaf, i want to be a ref ]

Depends how intimidating it is. :-)

>revised 2-4-d to allow for a substitution by the visiting team after a
>stoppage of play only if a penalty is called during the stoippage of
>play   [ this one needs some context to make sense to me ]

2-4-d: "After any stoppage of play, the visiting team promptly shall
place a lineup on the ice ready for play, and no substitution shall be
made from that time until play is resumed.  The home team then may
make any substitutions that do not result in a delay of the game.  For
an infraction of this rule, a bench minor penalty shall be imposed
upon the offending team.

"If there is any undue delay (approximately eight seconds) by either
team in changing lines (one or more players), the referee shall order
the offending team or teams to take their positions immediately and
shall not permit a line change.

"Note 1: When a substitution has been made under the above rule, no
additional substitution may be made until play commences.

"Note 2: If before the competition, the name of the home team has not
been established, the competing teams will decide which is to be the
home team by mutual agreement; that is, by the flip of a coin or some
similar method."

So it sounds like the visitors will be given some leeway in sending a
new unit on the ice to account for the change in situation when
penalties are called.

>clarified 3-7 to limit to 1 request involving one player per team per
>stoppage of play for equipment measurement.

I don't see how this is different, but okay.  Previously it read "one
request per stoppage of play"...maybe that one request had been
interpreted to cover more than one player.

>clarified 4-6-b that on penalty shots, once a puck has been touched it
>must be kept in motion towards opponents goal  [ again, i need some
>amplification.  does this prohibit some forms of dekeing? ]

Previously, the player taking the shot could "carry the puck in any
part of the neutral zone or the player's own defending zone; but once
the puck has crossed the attacking blue line, it must be kept in
motion towards the opponent's goal line."

I didn't know that this was a problem, but I can accept it. :-)

>added to rule 5 that the refs must follow the rule book  [ why is this
>necessary? ]

Rule 5 deals with the officials' duties.  I am guessing that this is
just one of those things that was obvious but is added for
consistency.

>revised 6-1-1-2 to read "coaches and other nonplaying persons
>connected with the team shall not use profane language or otherwise
>try to influence or intimidate officials or opposing players before
>dduring or after the game.  A bench minor shall be imposed for a
>violation of this rule."

Previously, it was "coaches, managers, trainers or other nonplaying
persons..." and was "either while play is in progress or during an
intermission."  Now it is extended to before and after a game.

>added language to 6-2-d to allow for a minor delay when a substitute
>goalie replaces a goaltender who needs repair or adjustment of
>equipment

Previously, no delay was permitted.  Now they get a bit of a break.

>deleted from 6-3a (deals with disqualification penalties) the sentence
>"A substitute for the penalized player shall be permitted at the end
>of the fifth minute"  [ i presume this change recognizes that there
>may be penalties other than the 5 minute major, and does not require
>the team to sakate one person down for the rest of the game ]

This is the attempt to injure rule.  Possibly an immediate
substitution will be allowed?  I'm not sure.  The fighting rule, for
example, does not have a note dealing with substitution.

>renamed 6-14 as "fighting/punching" and revised the note to read
>"this section shall include fighting, punching, spearing, butt-ending
>or malicious use of the stick at any height, kicking or attempting to
>do so.

Appears that "slugging with the fists" in the original note has been
changed to "punching".  Okay, whatever. :-)
Mike Machnik                                             [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                     *HMM* 11/13/93