Date:
Thu, 19 May 1994 08:49:38 EDT
Reprinted without permission from last night's (May 18, 1994) Lowell SUN:

CROWDER TO STAY AT UML

LOWELL - Bruce Crowder will remain as hockey coach at the Univeristy of
Massachusetts-Lowell.

Crowder told THE SUN today that he is no longer in the running for the
vacant job at the University of Denver, which is expected to announce its
new coach tomorrow.

"It think it was a mutual thing," said Crowder of Denver's decision to
hire a different candidate.  "I'm very happy here, the school has been
good to me, and we have things going on here I would like to finish.  To
leave would have been a very, very tough decision."

Crowder had not actively sought the Denver job and was reportedly the only
candidate invited to apply for the position.

Crowder, who has led UMass-Lowell to back-to-back 20-victory seasons and
this past winter coached the Chiefs into the NCAA tournament for just the
second time in the school's 11-year history, said it was difficult being
in limbo while he was under consideration at Denver.   Selling
UMass-Lowell to potential walkon recruits, for example,was tricky.

Dr. Wayne Edwards, the UMass-Lowell athletic director, was not available
this morning to comment on Crowder's decision to stay.

Crowder said his wife, Lucie, is also happy they're staying.

"She's a New England girl, and she like it around here," he said.

   - Chaz Scoggins, Lowell SUN, 5/18/94

[As suggested yesterday on Hockey-L, this morning's Boston Globe reported
that George Gwozdecky indeed is the new Denver coach.    - Steve]

Congratulations to Denver and their new coach!!  I wish you guys a great
future.  As I've told many of the Denver players who've responded to me
(and Hockey-L) in the past days/weeks, I've no affiliation with any WCHA
team, so from now on, I'm rooting for DU.  GO PIONEERS!!!

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go River Hawks!!!!!!!!
Univ. of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Is it October yet??????