From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 17:05:18 -0400
Forwarded message:
From [log in to unmask] Tue May 17 16:15:58 1994
Date: Tue, 17 May 1994 16:13:36 -0400
From: Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Eastern Recruits

Thanks to Tony for posting these recruits.  I was going to try to post the info
at lunchtime, but instead I'll just add a couple comments.

> BOSTON COLLEGE:
>
> Mike Correia       G      Avon Old Farms                     Tewksbury, MA

Correia was a member of the US Select-17 team.  According to my not-so-well-
placed sources at UMass-Lowell, here is what happened with this player: it
was between UML and BC for this kid and he opted for BC, although this was
apparently before the time period where things could become official.  When
Milbury came in, he wanted to use Correia's scholarship for another player
(who perhaps hadn't considered BC until Milbury became coach).  Since UML
still had a scholarship available, it looked like Correia was coming to Lowell.
However, apparently higher ups at BC decided that it was improper to back out
of a verbal commitment and said that the original offer must stand.  So
Correia went back to BC.  I have no way of confirming this, but the basic
scenario certainly has verisimilitude.

Based purely on hockey opportunities, the move would seem a curious one.  At
UML, Rollie's departure has left a hole you can drive a truck through.  The
backup, Craig Lindsey played only a couple periods in the entire season.  It
is unclear just how good he'll be.  The situation with BC is in stark contrast.
Greg Taylor would appear to be the man at BC for the next three years.  If BC
was a better match for Correia's academic interests, then he made a good move.
And there are certainly other possible legitimate reasons for his decision,
but he certainly turned down a great opportunity to play right from the start
at UML.

> BOSTON UNIVERSITY:
>
> Chris Drury        F      Fairfield Prep                     Trumbull, Conn.
> Chris Kelleher     D      St. Sebastian's                    Belmont, MA
> Jeff Kealty        D      Catholic Memorial                  Framingham, MA
> Tom Noble          G      Catholic Memorial                  Hanover, MA
> Mike Sylvia        F      Catholic Memorial                  Newton, MA

Drury, Noble, and Kealty were also on the Select-17 team.   Drury is a great
all-around athlete.  He led his Trumbull team to the Little League World Series
championship in 1989.

I'll predict that if not by his sophomore year, then certainly by his junior
year Kealty will be making All Hockey East squads.  Baring injury of course.

Kelleher (6' 2", 210) is a fifth round pick of the Penguins.

> MAINE:
>
> Dany Bousquet      F      Penticton (BCJHL)                  Montreal, Quebec
> Jeff Foster        D      Smith Falls (COJHL)                Napanee, Ontario
> Tony Tempestilli   F      Montreal Bourassa (Midget AAA)     Montreal, Quebec
> Shawn Wansborough  F      Smith Falls (COJHL)                Deseronto, Ontario
> Brian White        D      Arlington Catholic High School     Burlington, MA
>
> COMMENTS:
>
> Being that I am from Burlington and not Montreal or Ontario,

This, I suspect, is as subtle as Tony gets.  :-)  :-)  :-)

> UMASS-LOWELL:
>
> Shannon Basaraba   LW     Rochester Mustangs (USHL)         Intrntl Falls, Minn
> Scott Fankhauser   G      Loomis-Chaffee School
> Mike Henderson     D/F    Vernon (BCJHL)                    Brampton, Ontario
> Chris Libett       D      Michigan Nationals (NAJHL)        W. Bloomfield, Mich
> Mike Kinsley       F      Rhode Island Sharks (EJHL)        Franklin, MA
> Mike Nicholishen   D      Wexford Raiders                   Mississauga, Ontar.
> Adam Tramonte      F      Tyngsboro Huskies (EJHL)          Chelmsford, MA
>
> COMMENTS:
>
> I know nothing about any of these players.
> If anyone knows, I am curious as to what exactly is the EJHL.  Thanks.

I'd like to say I know more about these players but for now I don't.  In any
case, the EJHL is the Eastern Junior Hockey League and includes the following
teams (in order of standings at ~ Mar 1)

Granite State Stars
NECDL Classics
Tyngsboro Huskies
The Pics
RI Sharks
O'Neil Club

So note that Pat Bottino who went to UNH from the NECDL Classics is also a
EJHL "grad".  BTW, none of the EJHL players were among the top 5 pointgetters
in the league.

I can second Greg Sorenson's words regarding the quality of the Wexford Raiders
program.  If I had more time, I'd recount a story...

> MERRIMACK:
>
> Jim Sapienza       F      North Quincy High School          North Quincy, MA

Didn't see him this year, but saw him in last year's HS playoffs.  He was a
very good high school player, but a year's passing has wreaked havoc on my
weak neurons and I really can't comment on his college potential.

> There are no players entering Hockey East from the Springfield Olympics.  hmm.

True, but Deron Quint is a former Pic (don't think he was there this year, but
he has been there past years) and he should go somewhere between 5-15 in the
NHL draft.  (That's pick 5-15 in the *first* round.)  So not exactly a totally
lost year for the Pics.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*