From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 18 May 1994 15:49:25 CDT
Charlie Shub writes:

>Jack wants very much to see the WCHA get stats on line via a wcha
>equivalent of hockey-l.  He really has the vision that e-mail and
>internet file transfer will be more efficient than faxing and retyping
>stats around the country.  It really only takes one appropriately
>placed person at each school to make that work.  With the regulars
>on this list from most of the wcha schools, that should be fairly easy
>to accomplish.

Jack is right on the money here, but surprisingly, the information
superhighway does not yet reach as far as you'd think. MSU, for example, just
got their sports information department (and ath. department, which are
physically in different parts ofthe campus) hooked up to the university
mainframe in the last month or so. Before that, the SI office used these huge
IBM 5520s which resembled old microwave ovens.

There are ways to get around this, though. The Big 10 requires member schools
to electronically send football, hoop and baseball stats (via little Toshiba
laptop) weekly to the conference office, where they are further crunched and
disseminated. (This is convenient for the conference, but if you're a(n) SID and
want to use a stat program with different functions, then you have to input the
data twice. Ah, well, that's what work-study kids are for.)

>The nc$$ may be moving towards on line access to compliance rulings
>and sports statistics.  *They really need a telecomunications
>technology group to address some of those issues.*

Yes, they do. And so does the CoSIDA Computer Committee. The CoSIDA
directory should list e-mail addresses for each SID that has one, but keep in
mind there are still smaller schools (mostly div. III) with only one or two *fax
machines* on campus, and that charge people for sending faxes.

>look for the Denver cup to regularly include CC, DU, USAFA, and a
>designated punching bag.  My personal take on this (no offense jack)
>is that it isn't a good idea to have 3 teams always in the same 4 team
>tournament, especially when two are in the same league.

I agree: BAD IDEA. My disregard for the GLI is well-documented, but much of it
stems from the fact that there are three "permanent" teams in what is deemed
an "invitational." Either make it Denver and three guests, or a permanent
fourth team (NoDak, maybe?).

Greg