From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 May 1994 13:50:41 -0400
Tim King writes:
>Now that HE is planning on having shootouts in tie games next year, I was
>wondering, how are non-league games going to be handled?  Will the NCAA
>standard of no shoot out be used, will it be at the discetion of the two
>teams involved, or maybe just use the rules of the home team?

The rule change would only provide for shootouts to be used in regular
season tie games in Hockey East, i.e. a Hockey East league game.

In a NC game, a shootout could be held, but it would not go into the
NC$$ record of either team and the game would officially be a tie.  For
example, on 12/22/92, UAA and British Columbia met in the consolation
game of the Nissan/Jeep Classic at Anchorage.  The game ended in a 3-3
OT tie, but the tournament had special rules that allowed a shootout to
be used to decide third place, and UAA won that shootout 2-1.  The game
was still a tie in UAA's record, however.

Even though UBC was not an NC$$ team, I would expect the same
regulations would be followed.  I suppose HE teams could opt to
conduct shootouts in home nonconference games, if they wanted to, but
it does not sound as if this is in the works yet.

If HE teams begin reporting three records as I suggested, then they
could very well call a NC shootout a win/loss in the "overall" record
but a tie in the "NC$$" record.

I believe there have been shootouts held in a few other situations -
seems to me there was one this past season to decide the Ramada Cup
between NMU and MTU since each team finished with 16 goals and 2 wins
in the 4 games against the other.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93