From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 18:15:08 -0400

> Dave asks, in part ...
> >Wayne's post about Maine's impressive recruits has left me with a couple
> >questions, a couple of them general and a couple specific to the Black Bears.
> >
> >1.  How does a team allocate scholarships when players such as the Ferraro
> >twins remain in limbo?  Does the team allocate a full scholarship for iffy
> >players and tell recruits that they will get partial scholarships if the
> >veteran player stays but will get full ones if the other player leaves?  How
> >much does this put a team at a competitive disadvantage in recruiting?
>
>    A search of the archives will probably find an article (I think) I
>    posted last year quoting some comments from Shawn Walsh.  He said,
>    among other things, that the recruiting deadline caused (him)
>    problems (in being able to offer the best players the most
>    scholarship money).  I don't know how Maine or any other teams
>    allocate scholarships, but I have the impression that with the
>    reduction of total scholarship number comes more partial aid.

Actually, Shawn said in St. Paul that, if Peter left (Chris was never
mentioned, and none of us (general fans) expect him to be able to make the
jump yet), he would use the slot to recruit a player at the end of the summer.
Shawn went on to discuss the temptation to jump early and start signing all of
your players right away when you start to see the other schools doing it, but
that a coach must be patient, good players are still there at the end of the
summer.  It looks like he would use the whole scholarship to try and lure one
more good player.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre