From:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Robin Lock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Apr 1994 10:41:12 EDT
I'm surprised a couple of these items haven't been posted yet, unless
I missed something earlier.  The local Watertown Times had an unusually
large number of off-season college hockey notes last weekend, the most
interesting of which was

ECAC PROPOSING TO ALLOW NON-IVIES TO SCHEDULE TWO ADDITIONAL GAMES
I think the current limit is 28(?), the change would move it to 30(?).
The article lists both RPI's as motivating factors - apparently the
change would allow school's to schedule more out-of-league games to
try to improve strength of scheduels (of course they might also need to
win those games...). The move is also seen as an inducement to keeping
RPI in the fold. Nothing's final yet and it's not clear who might be
available to fill the extra games.  I don't think adding a pair with
Mt. Allison would help either RPI much.  The proposal also includes
expanding the current limit of three "preseason" games before starting
league play to four.

 Other items:

There was a nice piece on McShane's leaving Providence.  The rumor
here was that he might take a scouting position with the Ottawa
Senators which has a strong SLU connection through a number of
former players.  SLU coach Joe Marsh was an assistant under McShane
when he was at SLU and remains a close friend.  Marsh indicated
that McShane has been thinking of making a change for a couple of
years.

It was reported that former SLU goalie Les Kuntar has been selected
to join Team USA in Italy.

St. Lawrence tri-captains for the 1994-95 season:  Tom Perry, Brian
Kapeller, and Jeff Kungle.  Kungle makes it the third year in a row
that a Saint captain is/was also a Dean's list student with an
overall GPA over 3.50 - following Mike Allain this year and Greg
Carvel the year before.

There was an article on recruits for Clarkson and SLU. I don't have
it with me now but I recall that Clarkson had a big class (8-11?)
including a couple of two-year college transfers, and either the
first or second leading scorer from Kent as a transfer to play
his senior year. SLU has signed four players (and is losing four
to graduation) - three forwards with reputations as scorers and
a goalie, all from Canadian juniors. No in-state recruits, but
at least SLU has a Canadian Studies program.

Robin Lock
[log in to unmask]   (trying out a NEW address)