From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 1994 13:15:52 EDT
While at Tully Forum recently to get (my son) Mini-Mini-Cam's skates sharpened,
I spotted an article in the _Lowell Sun_ about Mass-Lowell's new rink situation.
I intended to pick up a copy of the Sun and type in the article, but since I
*am* the Inspector Clousseau of college hockey journalism, I will instead have
to go from memory.  That means that all facts that follow have about the same
odds of being true as "heads" will be the result of your next coin flip.

The jist of the article was that the city of Lowell is considering contributing
$15 million towards the new rink so that the main rink plus practice rink plus
other athletic facilities will be in downtown Lowell.  The expanded facility
is expected to cost $45 million with $15 million each coming from the city,
the university, and the state.  The city feels it can likely afford the cost
since some of their other debt service will be decreasing at the same time.
They also feel that it will aid in their efforts at revitalizing the downtown
area.  (For those who haven't been there, it is IMO safe but ugly.)

UML is waiting to see whether this is really the case or whether it should
instead build a smaller facility on campus.  The remainder of the article
went on to focus on details about the city's finances, bond issues, etc.

I'll continue to look for a back issue of the Sun so you can have less
superficial coverage, but don't hold your breath...

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*