From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Apr 1994 11:29:23 -0400
Dave O'Hara writes:
>On Mon, 4 Apr 1994, Mike Machnik wrote:
>> As someone else has already done, I think it should be noted that a
>> number of BU fans - among them, Tony Biscardi, Tony's dad, and Adam
>> Bryant - stayed throughout the LSSU awards ceremony and applauded the
>> winners.
>
>I'm only referring to the large group of BU fans in the corner of the
>Civic Center.  We had some BU fans behind us in the Hockey-L section who
>stayed for Lake Superior's awards.  They also felt that Jack Parker
>should have kept his team on the ice during the Laker's award ceremony.

Well, those three BU people I mentioned were in that large BU group in
the corner, and they stayed (as did a few others, I saw).

Someone suggested that it may be policy for the second place team to
leave after they receive their awards, so that the winners can have
their skate and all.  That's possible.  It certainly looked like
someone was beckoning BU off the ice.  I don't know if it was an NC$$
official, a security person, or someone from ESPN.

As far as BU not giving LSSU respect, it was LSSU that forced BU to
wait for several minutes for the postgame handshakes - the Terriers
were standing lined up at center ice for a while before the Lakers
headed over.  It could be argued that LSSU was rubbing it in the
Terriers' faces, but I would not have brought it up if it was not
suggested that BU was acting like poor sports.  I distinctly recall
Maine captain Jim Montgomery leading his team over for handshakes almost
immediately after the 1993 championship ended, following a quick mobbing
of Garth Snow.  But that was the way Montgomery always was.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93