From:
Steve Weisfeldt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 1994 09:10:56 EST
>From:         Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      Re: BC
>To:           Multiple recipients of list HOCKEY-L

>Here's hoping that Crowder stays -- I don't see any other Boston-area
>openings -- and that UML rewards him for the astonishing job he's done in
>the last three years.  But if he leaves, I'll have to squeeze another
team
>into my sig.

> - Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask]

Dave -

When Wayne Edwards (the Lowell AD) hired Bruce Crowder, he had a "5 year
time-table" for him to get the program back to respectability.  Well, in a
nutshell, it's taken Bruce THREE years to get where Dr. Edwards wanted to
be in 5.  As far as I know, Coach Crowder has been given a pay raise and I
think, though I'm not sure, a contract extension.  Dr. Edwards has done a
marvelous job of convincing the school how important a good program is.
(Up to quite recently, President Hogan and the rest couldn't have cared
less about sports).  He's used the examples of how enrollment at
UMass-Amherst has skyrocketed since their hoop team has become successfull
and how the average SAT scores of incoming freshman at BC jumped
considerably after Doug Flutie brought attention to that school.

Despite the occasional scary rumour (he was rumoured to go be the head man
at Maine after last season if Coach Walsh had gotten a pro job [Mike
Keenan was interested in Walsh as an assistant]), I don't think he'll
leave in the near future.  Next year will be in his first season having
all of "his own" kids - don't forget that the great senior class, Roloson,
Murray, Henry, etc were all brought in by Billy Riley.  And I know he
wants to be around to play in the new arena.

If he DOES ever leave, don't jump ship!!  I'm sure the program will be
established well enough to get another good head man - Bruce's also got
some excellent assistants now.....

  - Steve

Steve Weisfeldt                                   Go Chiefs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
University of Lowell (now UMASS-Lowell)  1986, 1988
[log in to unmask]                          Roloson for Hobey!!!!!!