From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 1994 18:44:06 EST
Ely Ben-Naim writes:
>    The story broke in the Boston Globe by a guy named will McDonough, I was
> heavily criticized here for claiming that his story about a certain coach
> was not fair. Some people claimed he knows nothing about college hockey...

Well, not quite.  The Boston Globe broke the story yesterday (Tuesday) with a
single story by Nancy Marrapese and Will McDonough (in that order).  The three
stories today, confirming and analyzing the news, were written by Marrapese,
Kevin Paul Dupont, and Bob Monahan.  Will McDonough is famous for having many
contacts and getting many scoops.  It is probable that McDonough's contacts,
either on the Broons or more likely at BC, got the ball rolling on this story
and even though Nancy Marapese finished it off, got McDonough second billing
on the initial story.  If it were really his story, he would have had a hand
in the subsequent stories, which he did not.

I called McDonough's comments regarding Maine "moronic", but I never
criticized anybody on the list.  Will McDonough has great contacts, but nothing
in the story has changed my opinion that he doesn't know a thing about college
hockey.  I'd bet the mortgage check he couldn't name five players on BC.

But enuff picking nits about McDonough.

I expect BC to be greatly improved next year.  They didn't lose many seniors
and Milbury will be great for the program and with any luck should attract
more Boston media attention to college hockey.  If they don't get near the
top of Hockey East next year, they should certainly get there the year after.

I also guess that this increases Bruce Crowder's chances of staying with
UMass-Lowell next year.  Steve Weisfelt noted that Crowder's response to
questions about BC were "we'll cross that bridge when we get to it" which
certainly sounded ominous.  Based on family reasons, I would be surprised if
Crowder pulled up stakes and left the Boston area.  However, if a better
opportunity arose in the area (such as BC), he'd certainly have to consider
it.  I have no idea what his contract situation is with UML, but I'd have
to believe that a larger school could afford more money.  Given BC's terrific
hockey history, that head coaching job would have to be considered one of the
great plums in the area.  And even though I've been posting UML stuff all
year, I'd be the first to admit that it's a small school with a rink 6 miles
from the campus.  There are restrictions that Crowder faces at UML that he
wouldn't have to deal with elsewhere.  (I'm very curious as to whether UML
has the max 18 scholarships to give out, for example.)  Here's hoping that
Crowder stays -- I don't see any other Boston-area openings -- and that UML
rewards him for the astonishing job he's done in the last three years.  But
if he leaves, I'll have to squeeze another team into my sig.

*****************************************************        ,-******-,
* Dave Hendrickson "Robo" [log in to unmask] *     *'     ##     '*
*        A Hockey Polygamist and Get-A-Lifer        *   *##   ___##___   ##*
* GO BROONS!!!      Go Red Wings!!     Go LA Kings! *  *   ##|   ___  \##   *
* GO UMASS-LOWELL!!!    Go Maine!!           Go BU! * *      |  |___)  |     *
* Although I can't remember ever having an original * *      |  |___)  |     *
* thought, and am certainly parroting someone who   *  *   ##|________/##   *
* actually has a brain, these opinions are mine,    *   *##      ##      ##*
* not Hewlett-Packard's.                            *     *,     ##     ,*