From:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Burger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 10:25:06 -0700
     DETROIT, March 18 - Central Collegiate Hockey Association Chairman R.C.
Johnson annouced today that the University of Alaska-Fairbanks' application
for full membership into the CCHA was tabled by council in its Friday meeting
to provide ample opportunity to fully review scheduling and travel implications.
     UAF will present its proposal to the league's coaches at the NCAA coaches
convention in April.  The league plans to take further action in May.
     "I commend (UAF Associate Atheltic Director) Kip Harmon and UAF on
their outstanding presentation," Johnson added.
     "I'm estatic at the outcome of today's meeting," said Harmon.  "There is
an understanding among the CCHA members of the unique situation UAF is in.
The ability to present to the coaches in April is a sign of progress in
UAF's efforts to receive full membership in the CCHA."

End of release.

Stuff I found out asking around:
1. UAF will pay for all travel, including 3 day hotel stay and airfare.  The
schools will even be allowed to keep the frequent flier mileage.

2. The CCHA schedule will be reduced to 28 games, with each school playing
5 schools 4 times and 6 schools 2 times.  Each team will make one trip
every other year to Alaska.  If the team does not travel to Alaska, it will
travel to the Soo.  However, due to the math problems invovled, each team
once every 11 years will be required to do both.

3. The league will remain one 12 team league with no divisions.  However,
I just can't figure out why they can't do this one:
EAST-Miami, Ohio State, Bowling Green, Kent, Michigan, MSU
WEST-Lake State, Alaska-Fairbanks, W. Mich., Ferris State, Notre Dame, UIC
In this scheme, Teams 1-3-5-6-10-11 were in the East and 2-4-7-8-9-12 were
in the West.  That's pretty balanced.

Back to the Joe!

Mike