From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 1994 14:32:25 -0500
>DIVISION II
>Championship
>(Two-game series with minigame tiebreaker)
>Friday, March 11
>   Ala.-Huntsville 5, Bemidji St., Minn. 3
>Saturday, March 12
>   Bemidji St., Minn. 2, Ala.-Huntsville 1, OT
>   Bemidji St. 1, Ala.-Huntsville 0, minigame, Bemidji St. wins series 2-1
>-------------------------------------
>
>I don't think that this is correct. If I understand the playoff format
>correctly,  there should have been no overtime in the second game. If it ended
>in a tie, Hunstville should have won the national championship.
>
>Does anyone have any additional information on this?

According to 1994 NCAA Ice Hockey Handbook, under Championship Structure,
Division II:

   "...The format will consist of a two-game series with a 'minigame'
   tiebreaker system, if necessary."

I can't find anything else about a minigame series, except it is listed
as the DIII first round tie-breaker (but there they don't even say that
it is a two-game series).

I'll have to keep hunting for the answer....

Keith