From:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bri Farenell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 1994 22:24:39 -0500
Clarkson defeated (perhaps outlasted would be more appropriate) Colgate,
8-7 tonight in Potsdam.

The teams scored 3 goals in teh first 2:15 of the game. Clarkson scored
two more goals to make it 4-1. Colgate's Brent Wilde scored to make it
4-2. Clarkson scored 2 more goals on a pair of absolutely dazzling passing
plays to make it 6-2 after two. Three of the last four Clarkson goals were
just spectacular passing plays; tic tac toe red-light. In the second
period, Clarkson was toying with the Red Raider defense and Gate goalie
Matt Weder was truly let out to dry. Clarkson only got 17 or so shots
in the first two periods but they were all high quality opporunities.

Then, the wheels fell off the Clarkson jugernaut. Colgate scored a couple
of goals to make it 6-4. Clarkson scored with about 4:00 or so left to make
it 7-4 and appear to take the steam out of Colgate but Colgate made it 7-5
before Clarkson again seemed to seal it with another goal at 8-5. But then,
with just under 2:00 left, Colgate made it 8-6. But before Colgate got a
chance to pull Jason Gates (who replaced Weder to start the third), Clarkson
was given a power play by refs Murphy and Kelly. However, the only goal
scored on the PP was a shorthanded marker by the Red Raiders... but with
only :10 left. Clarkson held on for the 8-7 win.

You'll have to excuse me. In all the goals, I'm not certain exactly
when Clarkson's 8th goal was nor do I have the names handy of each of
the goal scorers. I do know that at least Colgate's Bruce Gardiner and
Wilde had a pair.

I was horrified by Clarkson's defense. As much as I like him, Ed Henrich
had an awful game. He was beaten for 3 or 4 goals that I can remember,
in this game. Particularly disturbing was his 1-on-1 defense (not only
but especially his). Clarkson's D seemed worn out despite having a fresh
body in the return of Matt Pagnutti from a shoulder injry (worn out in
the 3rd). The forwards they'd manhandled in earlier periods blew right
by them.

I was not impressed, tonight, by Marko Tuomainen. While he did notch a goal,
I was particularly pissed off by his innumerable cheap shots. A slash here,
a cross-check there, a shove. ALL unnecessary and well after/away from the
play. It's amazing he didn't get called for a penalty but that kind of b.s.
has no business in the game.

Clarkson goalie Jason Currie played very well in the first two periods. He
was ok in the third but, like Weder in the 2nd, was often Clarkson's only
defensive player. He did let in one soft goal, between the wickets, but
kept Clarkson's then-comfortable cushion in the 1st and 2nd periods.

Late in the 2nd, Clarkson's Craig Conroy got hit, while in front of the
net, with a point shot. He was on the ice for a few seconds but left under
his own power. I SUSPECT he simply had the wind knocked out of him or had
a minor injury and that Coach Morris did not want to risk anything further
with a then 6-2 lead. Hopefully Conroy will be ok for tommorow night's game.

THIRD PERIOD SCORES
Union 4         RPI 1
Harvard 5       Cornell 2