From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 1994 14:27:49 -0500
><great circle distances deleted>

Thanks for the numbers--very interesting. (Could you do Cleveland and Columbus
for me?)

>Isn't that amazing?  Fairbanks is closer to Boston, Detroit, and Chicago than
>is Anchorage!  Of course, thats a direct line flight - God knows what the
>airlines choose.

I am not surprised. Fairbanks is farther north and these great circles are taking
you over/near the north pole.

All of the flights I've heard of go thru Anchorage, however.

>Anyway, the only point I would make is that if the WCHA can deal with UAA,
>then its no more difficult for the CCHA to deal with UAF.

Here is one difference: all CCHA teams currently bus to play league
games.  WCHA teams already have to fly into/out of Colorado. It is a
small difference, but it is part of the "re-structuring" that would
have to take place in the league. Adding UAF is no trivial matter. Hey, I
am not saying it would be impossible to add UAF, I am just saying that
the CCHA is not the WCHA, so just claiming that since UAA can get in
the WCHA, therefore the CCHA *has to* let in UAF.

It has to be in the league's best interests to let in Fairbanks. So far, the
advantages I see do not overcome the problems.

>Actually, I would
>like to see both in the WCHA, but it will be an unconscionable shame if UAF
>isn't accorded the same courtesy as UAA by SOMEBODY!

"Courtesy". Good choice of words. The CCHA--the most polite college
hockey league--that could be the new motto. I would hope there are
better reasons than just politeness for admitting a team into a league.

Keith
PS No comments on who the most IMPOLITE league is at the moment.