From:
Doug Onsi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Mar 91 15:18:16 EST
A True Championship at The Joe.

  As a transplanted ECAC fan (Cornell class of '90), this was my
first CCHA Championship at The Joe as a Michigan Wolverine.
  The semi-finals went as expected with Lake Superior State and
Michigan overcoming early deficits, but showing far more fire power
in the end.
  The Lakers (35-3-4) are a veteran squad who have crushed opponents
all season long, and have earned their #1 ranking in every poll.
The Wolverines (32-7-3) have been better than anyone expected, and
are a young and exciting team.  These two teams last faced each other
back in December and since then Michigan had lost only one game,
while Lake Superior has been 26-0-2 winning the last 15 in a row.
  In front of a good crowd at The Joe, Michigan jumped out
to a 2-0 lead with two goals in the first 10 minutes.  The rest of
the first period was more hesitant with Lake Superior getting
one goal back and making it miserable for Michigan on defense.
  It only got worse for the Wolverines in the second.  Lake
Superior enjoyed a 4-1 advantage that could have been 5-0.
Michigan's one goal occured after Lake Superior ruined a power
play with a penalty of their own.  At that point, it looked like
Lake Superior's power play could score at will and Michigan cut
the lead to one goal for the moment.
  Of late, Michigan has been a streaky team--scoring and allowing
goals in bunches. True to form, Michigan tied it up with two goals
early in the third period.  Both teams had chances to win it in
regulation, but goalies Darrin Madeley (LSSU) and Steve Shields (U-M)
came up with big saves to send it into overtime.
  The overtime period was all Lake Superior, as they sent a flurry
of shots before Clayton Beddoes finally scored at 7:39 to take the
CCHA Championship 6-5.
  Lake Superior had wrapped up their bye in the NCAA tournament weeks
ago, but based on a record which reflects playing Lake Superior five times,
I think Michigan deserves the fourth bye.  These teams
play outstanding hockey.
  Western Michigan defeated Ferris State in overtime 2-1 in the
Consolation Game.  Both teams are on the bubble for an NCAA bid,
but Western has defeated Ferris State the last three times the
teams have met, so they should get the nod.
  In any event, Michigan will be at home one of the next two
weekends and I look forward to seeing or hearing from any
Hockey-L fans who might be heading up to Yost. I would like
to cast the first Hobey Baker vote for next year--watch out
for Denny Felsner.  This Michigan team will only get better.
Coach Red Berensen has done a fantastic job turning the team
around these last three years, and setting a school record for
victories this year.
  Well, my report doesn't include the depth or insight of
Bill or Carol or any of the other regulars, but I'll keep working
on it.  I'm a rookie.
  -- Doug Onsi, Cornell Class of 1990
                Michigan Law Class of 1993
        "Give my Regards to Davy and Hail to the Victors"