From:
BALDWIN CHARLES A <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BALDWIN CHARLES A <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 22:49:12 -0500
> I can not vote for Tracy or Israel because of the platoon system.

Platoon system? Israel faced a decent amount of rubber this season. In '92
Al Roy had the best stats in the ECAC by a large margin and got no post-season
recognition for this same logic (IMHO). I'm not sure if it's right or wrong,
but I do wonder: Israel will have played a majority of Harvard's games--does
he have to play a particular percentage to get considered?...

[Discussion of relative bias of Albany media]
> Take a look at your own papers. It is the same way!

Certainly RPI is blessed by a relatively small market. When I lived in Boston I
would get extremely frustrated by the Boston Globe. Firstly the Harvard
coverage often (IMHO) has an apologetic tone when dealing with the Ivie school
across the river...but this one lives with. More frustrating is the sheer size
of the sports market. Harvard can be in the top five nationally and rate three
lines in the Globe, sans box score. You never get that in the Albany Times
Union: their coverage is pretty thorough for RPI and Union, though virtually
non-existant for the rest of college hockey--not that it should be otherwise,
but even this can feel like a bias.

Sandy Baldwin