From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 16:45:50 -0500

> The list of the All-Decade Hockey East team was posted here yesterday and
> after a night's rest, I suddenly realized that Tony Amonte (nee BU, current
> Ranger) was excluded from the list.
> My freshman year he had about as good a season as any college player. Dave
> Emma edged him out for the Hobey but look at the two players now.
> Anyone else notice any snubs?
>
> Joel Kitay

Although I had my own opinions as to who should or should not have been on the
Hockey East ALL-Decade team, one area that I disagree with you strongly is over
Amonte.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Tony and missed him when he left.  I would even go
so far as to say that the '92 Olympic Team might have gotten a medal if he
had joined them instead of staying with the Rangers.

However...

He does not belong on the All-Decade Team.  Rather than compare him to players
on other teams (can lead to one being biased) or different times, I will
compare him to line-mate Shawn McEachern.

First... one correction.  Tony Amonte was not even a finalist for the Hobey
that year ('91) when Emma won it.  McEachern was.  McEachern was an All-
American, Amonte was second team All-Hockey East.  McEachern was not alergic
to coming back over one's own blue line as Amonte often appeared to be.
McEachern was a two-way TEAM player, Amonte was sort of one-dimensional at
times.  McEachern was to Amonte what Montgomery was to Kariya last year.
Look back at the tapes (I have MANY), McEachern made Amonte look good many,
many times.  I did feel McEachern was snubbed (as was Montgomery), but not
Amonte.

I ask you this, how can someone be All-Decade when they were never even
All-Confernce?

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre

PS - I'm not trying to down Amonte, he was a great player.  He was one of the
most *exciting* players to play at BU in recent years, but excitement doesn't
win tourneys, good overall play does.