From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 1994 02:45:14 -0500
>  My first thought would be to extend the overtime period to 10 minutes,
>with the increased likelihood of an eventual winner making teams play
>more to win than not to lose.  However, I think a couple of weeks back
>I saw Mike Machnik say something about comparisons of 10 minute and 5
>minute overtimes not showing that much of a difference.  I'd actually
>like to see those numbers if anyone has them lying around...

O.K. This comparison is actually possible with the Canadian Major Junior
Leagues. The Ontario Hockey League has a 5-minute OT, while the Western and
Quebec Major Junior Hockey Leagues both have 10-minute OTs. Since these
leagues are at the same level, this is the most valid comparison. I don't have
the stats for OT games decided, but I have done a quick check of the
percentage of ties to total games for the three leagues. (Up to Feb. 20)
My stats are based on the March 4, 1994 Hockey News.

Here it is:            Games   Ties   Pct. (Ties/Games)
Western Hockey League   480     24    5.0%
Quebec Major Junior HL  401     19    4.7%
Ontario Hockey League   444     42    9.4%

National Hockey League  774     94    12.1%

So the OHL, which has a 5-minute OT, ends up with twice as many ties as the
other two leagues. I think a difference this big should say something. As I
said, I don't know what the ratio of ties to OT games is.

I also put the NHL's stats in there, in case people were interested.

>  Maybe, then, a full period?  Yeah, there would be one more intermission,
>and one that could be aggravating if the game is decided in the first few
>minutes of overtime.  But maybe it would be enough time to convince teams
>that there will most likely be a winner, and it had better be them.

Well, it depends on whether another 15 minutes is worth eliminating most of
the ties that would happen. A 10-minute OT can be done without another
intermission. The league my team (the Jr. Senators) plays in does this for
the playoffs. If a playoff game is tied, they do 10 minutes right away, and
then go to 20 minute periods (with a flood) until someone scores.

Personally, I don't think 1 tie per 20 games would be that bad.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards         Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr. Senators (CJHL, Jr. A)
Poli Sci/Law III                   SHOOTOUTS SUCK!!!!!!!!!