Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 1993 00:23:02 EST
Johanna Wise said:
>We have all been jipped from a higher grade that we deserved/earned
>by teachers. Tory cannot be entirely, if at all, to blame here. My
>feelings are 1) Grades are _not_ an indication of an individual's
>academic or intellectual capacity/abilities, and 2) Athletes should
>not be forced to be geniuses!!

Bear in mind that Tory needed to have these P's counted as C's in order to get
a 2.00. That doesn't sound like doing poorly in one course to me. That being
said, it is time for another one of John's Explanations of the British
Columbia School System. <fanfare plays> :)

One thing I have not mentioned, but should now, is that British Columbia has
Provinicial Exams at the Grade 12 level for all academic courses. These exams
count for 40% of the final mark for the course, so it is a stretch to blame
poor marks on a teacher(s) who didn't like you, because their input is only
60% of the mark, not the full deal.

1) If you're not going to use grades to determine academic ability, what are
you going to use? SATs? You have to use something. I prefer grades as opposed
to a single test score.

2) I'm not saying an athlete has to be a straight-A student, heck, I'm not. :)
But I am saying an athlete has to have at least halfway decent marks. Tory's
marks weren't just a bit below average, they were pitiful. They wouldn't have
gotten him into Carleton, which has an open door policy.

>Way to go on the Open Door policy! (who posted that?)

I think that was me. You're welcome. To relate this to college athletics, I
have not problem with someone letting an athlete in with low marks, if they
let in B.A. students with low marks. e.g. Let's suppose Carleton and Harvard
(to use a ridiculous example) are recruiting a player with a 67% average. I
would have no problem with Carleton letting him in, because a Poli Sci student
with that average would be admitted. OTOH, I would have a huge problem with
Harvard letting him in, because someone applying to study Poli Sci with that
average would be laughed at. I'm not sure of Maine's normal admission stand-
ards.

John Edwards

--
John C.K. Edwards       ONLY _10_ DAYS UNTIL I GO HOME!!!! :-) :-) (Dec.19)
Poli Sci/Law III      GO CATS GO!!! (9-21)     TOUCHDOWN SEAHAWKS!!!!! (5-7)