Sender:
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1993 02:09:21 -0500
Northeastern defeated BU tonight 5-4.

BU outshot NU 41-36.
Reynolds played in goal for NU.

NU is now 4-0.
BU is now 2-2.

Those are the facts, now for my opinions.

It was an exciting game in front of a good-sized crowd at Northeastern.
The action started out slow, and then picked up in pace as the night went on.

Overall, my report on BU:

They are an excellent forchecking team when short-handed (Parker's teams are
never bad in this area).

Their power-play needs SERIOUS help...  For the second week in a row, we gave
up a goal when on the power-play while generating no offense of our own.

In the overall play (5 on 5), I am noticing one trend with BU this year:
  Their forwards are very defensive-minded while their defensemen are very
offensive-minded.  The result is that they can keep pressure on very well,
moving the puck up the ice, but struggle in putting it in the net.  BU sorely
lacks a sniper, someone who you know will put it in the net if given the
opportunity.

In the area of individual player development:
Friedman - Much better.  He was trying to avoid stupid penalties and was not
   mixing it up tonight.  Either someone spoke to him or he just did some
   serious thinking.  He still has more development to go to be a great
   captain, but he is getting better.

Coleman (Frosh - D) - He looked worse in terms of making mistakes... He made
   more of them tonight.  However, I am encouraged by the fact that he is
   now trying to play his game instead looking around and trying to be perfect.
   He is a "wide open" type of player whose talents lie in his ability to rush
   the puck up ice and create.  BU will take some lumps while he is learning,
   but we will be better in the long run for it.

Grier (Frosh - F) - Mike got to see his first real action tonight and, although
   he showed some flashes of what made him an NHL draft pick (9th rnd), he also
   displayed why he has not played until now (and may not again in the near
   future).  He has a tendency to make a play, moving the puck or whatever,
   but, as soon as something goes wrong (turnover, etc.), he straightens up,
   slows up, and slowly turns to head up the other way.  The entire play has
   been completed in BU's end before he gets back over the red line.  Maybe in
   a few years he will be a quality player (there is some potential), but it is
   a ways away right now.

Chris O'Sullivan - (Fr - D) - This boy continues to impress me.  He is becoming
   deadlier and deadlier from the point.  He will be a force to be reckoned
   with all year.  [Who knows, if BU's lack of offensive punch up front
   continues, maybe Parker will try Chris up front (He played some wing in H.S.
   and was quite impressive.) :-)]

Rich Brennan (Jr. - D) - He had a bad night tonight.

Well, these are my opinions.  I do believe BU will eventually get it together,
   but, without a legitimate goal-scoring threat, they may not be the lock to
   win the conference we all thought they were.  We will see how they react
   tongight against NU at home (at BU).

Just the humble bablings of a crazed hockey fan.

Tony  BU'92'93
Former Ogre