Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 1993 16:28:02 -0500
*EXTRA* *EXTRA*
Just got a call from my radio partner, Dan Roche.  At the 11th hour,
the Merrimack radio agreement was hammered out and we WILL be doing
the UMass game live Saturday night. :-)  Tune in if you like, WCCM 800
AM out of Lawrence, MA.  Pre-game about 6:45.  Because WCCM won't be
carrying any other nonleague games and I'll be away the last 3 weeks
of November, this will be the only game I get to do until December.

FRIARS DOWN CADETS
It's official - Providence beat Army Saturday night in the first real
game of the season played by a HE team, 7-3.  Sophomore D Jay Kenney
from Schenectady, NY, scored twice on the power play and added an
assist.  The Friars led 5-0 halfway through the 2nd and outshot Army
for the game, 32-20, with sophomore goalie Bob Bell going the
distance.  This was from the PC info, thus the bias and lack of Army
details - sorry.

HE CHANGES QUARTERFINAL FORMAT
HE has changed its quarterfinal playoff format yet again, this time
back to the best 2 of 3 series used in the 1989-90 season.  This
brings HE in line with the first round formats of the other three DivI
conferences.  I discovered this while browsing through the 1993-94 HE
Yearbook; I haven't heard anything about it before.

UMASS MINUTES
UMass shows 26 players on their roster whose class is listed - 25 are
freshmen.  The senior, Steve Corradi, is a four-year starter for the
UMass baseball team (which is usually pretty good).  Info from UMass
says that the record in their last season of hockey, 1978-79, was
1-18-1.  That was also the last year they played Merrimack, which
holds a 11-7-3 record in the all-time series and will host the
Minutemen in their return to varsity hockey Saturday night.  UMass was
the 1971-72 ECAC DivII champion with a record of 19-7-0 (there was no
national championship other than DivI then).

When UMass holds its home opener against Villanova Oct 30, with Mass.
Governor William Weld on hand to drop the puck, it will be the first
varsity hockey game played on campus at UMass in 39 years.  From the
inception of the UMass program in 1908 until 1954, all games were
played on the campus pond; in 1955, the team moved its home games to
Amherst College's Orr Rink, where they played through 1978-79.
Perhaps to say thanks, UMass will host Amherst at the 8,389-seat
Mullins Center on 11/23/93.

Effective Jan 1, 1994, UMass will be a full member of Hockey East,
although their first HE game will not be until 11/4/94 at Providence.
UMass participated in HE Media Day on Tuesday along with the other 8
HE schools.
---
Mike Machnik           [log in to unmask]          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMN* 11/13/93