Sender:
From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1993 23:01:16 CDT
Okay, okay....I know I promised a game report! The days keep getting busier
and busier!

Gophers looked good in the first period. The only incident was the so-called
major for fighting on Chris McAlpine. We really thought it was just a major
with a 10-minute misconduct or we would have been more upset. What a crock!
The referee must have been half asleep to call that wimpy punch to the head
"fighting". The MTU player which received the hit, barely moved. Now I know
that you can call a slashing penalty without actually making contact, but I
was not aware that this also held for fighting. It was implied in the paper
that hitting or the intention to hit can be called. This is news to me...who's
got a rule book out there? Help me out here! It is unclear at this time which
ref actually called the penalty...but one of them was the infamous Ron Foyt
our very own WCHA head of referees. This is scary. Will we have to have a
couple of weeks of non-contact hockey for fear of being called for fighting if
you make any unclear contact of an opposing player. Kind of like a couple of
years ago when they decided to call EVERYTHING and the games went to
3-hours-plus marathon events. UGH!

The sound system as noted by Pam and Shari (hey congrats on the impending new
hockey fan!), is a disaster. I talked to Patti (Woog's sect'y) today as I
wanted to know who to call and complain to. Partly, it's the coaches
fault...they wanted the building to be LOUD and sound like a tin can. (they
got their wish, unfortunately) So, even the planned "improvements" may not
help much. It was real bad down low, where we sat for the game...I expected it
to be better higher up, Patti said no, lower is better. =:-O We're in big
trouble folks! Oh well, I better get out my little stereo headset radio so we
can hear the penalties announced correctly. BOO!

The referees now wear NUMBERS on their uniforms!! Why don't they just give in
and put their names on the back like they have out East! We'll find out their
names and make a list with the numbers and figure it out anyway. Dumb.

There was a ceremony at the beginning of the game and several older men were
introduced although we have NO CLUE who they were, as all we heard was
garbledegook! Too bad. We clapped at all the pauses though.

Special commemorative T-shirts were on sale although the Pro-shop isn't open
yet. And the additional murals are still to go up. I have a special interest
in those, as I donated some vintage photos to be used for the murals.

Glad to see that the TV schedule was posted by Pam. I imagine that when we get
the new program in two weeks, the rest of the TV schedule will be on there.

Gophers looked very tired at the end of the game. Tech looked pretty good for
only having been on the ice for a week. Now THAT's scary ;-)

Well, sorry this is so short and disjointed... gotta get some sleep now!
Hopefully, I'll be able to do a better report this weekend.

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!