Sender:
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1993 13:11:19 PST
Keith says,

>[stuff about the RPI band and a potential Union ban on all visiting
bands]

I don't see why the RPI band has to "explain" any of their behavior to anyone.
As long as it is not "illegal" (and that line was apparently crossed last year
on both sides), and does not interfere with the game (like the oranges did),
then they should not be harassed by fans of the opposing team.  (yeah, yeah,
"it comes with the territory," i know.  :-)  :-)  :-)

Nevertheless, the game belongs primarily to the college students,
players and fans.  (Someone put this all very eloquently a while back.)  The
locals and alumni are secondary in importance.  If all was just in the world,
then the Union student fan following should make the decision to ban or allow
opposing bands.  (I actually mean that as a serious suggestion,
if a ban is being considered, who *should* decide?)

IMO it would not be a healthy decision to ban bands from visiting
the arena.  One would hope they prod the Union fans into getting
together to out-do their opponents.  That's what rivalries are
all about!  Banning bands just seems like a "sour grapes"
answer to what is viewed by some as a problem rather than an
opportunity.

Ross (RPI '91... pep band member  :)
ps.  aside... Spunky!?  Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!  Ha ha
ha!!  Go ahead and ban the band, we'll just bring a whole troop of
Spunkies next time!  Then we'll show ya!