Sender:
Date:
Sat, 22 Dec 90 11:48:38 EST
During the third period of the Maine-Brown game, I had the pleasure of
sitting next the mother of one of the Brown players (# 3, first year
defenseman - Sorry, I'm equally bad with names).  Anyhow, she was quite
a character, and she knew the game.  I asked her about the Brown goalie,
as I was quite impressed with his netminding ability.

She said that he (Finch?) was a first year walk-on. Seems he got into
Brown via his academic skills, and was playing goal for the club hockey
team.  Brown was having problems with their varsity goalies (details
escape me at the moment) and someone convinced the Brown coaching staff
to give Finch a shot.  He performed well in practice and won the first
varsity game he played in.

As the game wore on, I found myself secretly cheering for him (not Brown
as a whole, just the goalie).  He didn't disappoint me, as he played
superbly; especially in the third period.  I was disappointed in the
"Stars of the game" selections, as Finch received nothing.  Oh well,
he seemed like he was having fun, and he got the respect of a lot of
Maine fans (and players).

This sure would make a great human-interest story!  Channel 2, are you
out there?  Bangor Daily News ....?

Logout,                      Long before the flag burning issue:

Steve Philbrick              "The right to do something does
Computer Science              not mean that doing it is right."
237 Neville Hall
University of Maine                    -- William Safire
Orono, ME     04469
bitnet:       [log in to unmask]
internet:     [log in to unmask]