Sender:
From:
"C. Michael McCallum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 90 17:38:27 -0800
Well, I have to put my 2k in here too about this, since it all
came up again.
When I was an undergrad (it was only 2 - 3 years ago) at Michigan
State, I would say that I was above average in the fan obnoxiaity
quotient (I probably still am;  my girlfriend is hesitant to
accompn'y me to any game...).  But as N. Huang says, that doesn't
mean we cheer as most americans vote - against, instead of for
someone.  Sure, some people will get foul, and some will lose con-
trol, but (in my experience, anyway) there was/is a remarkably
small number of actual problems as compared to any other sporting
event: Football Basketball (even women's), etc.  Unfortunately,
having a certain proportion of foul and blatantly offensive fans,
student or otherwise, will surely leave a mark on one's memory.
I don't mean to start pointing fingers, but I always noticed
two or three alumni in my section whom I would be ashamed to admit
that I knew, much less use as an example as 'fans'.
Of course there is the famous "fuck you; eat shit" "cheer";
I don't know about HE or ECAC, but I never heard overly obnoxious
cheers like that in the CCHA, even in Joe Louis during the GLI
(of course that doesn't mean it didn't occur).
Let's try to keep things in perspective, OK?
Roo