Sender:
From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 90 12:47:50 EST
>From the Tuesday, Dec.18 edition of the National comes this tidbit.
>
>	Union College of Schenectady,NY was invited to replace Army,
>	which is going independent, in the ECAC's division I hockey
>	league.
>
>No other information was given.  Will Union accept?
>
>---mg

From the Tuesday, 12/18 edition of The Ithaca Journal (via the
Associated Press):

Union Asked To Join ECAC

Schenectady (AP) - Union College was invited Monday to upgrade its
hockey program from small-college status and replace Army in the
ECAC's Division I league and bcome a new rival of Cornell.

Elizabeth Eismeier of Colgate, co-chair of the ECAC's Ice Hockey
Policy Committee, said she made the formal invitation in a letter to
Union President Roger H. Hull.

"We believe they share our commitment to academic excellence and
to balanced and fair competition," she said.

Dick Sakala, Union's athletic director, said Monday the college
hopes to give the ECAC a decision by January 31, when students and
faculty will have returned from semester break and had a chance to
express their opinions on the issue.

"It's too early to make a judgment," Sakala said Monday. "We're
certainly honored by the invitation and intend to be very thorough
and give it every review possible."

Union's hockey team competes on the Division III level in the ECAC's
Hockey West [sic] region.

Army, an ECAC member since 1984, announced last month it was leaving
the league to return to independent status.

Other members of the ECAC's Division I hockey league, in addition to
the Big Red, are Brown, Clarkson, Colgate, Cornell [sic], Dartmouth,
Harvard, Princeton, RPI, St. Lawrence, Vermont and Yale.