Sender:
From:
James Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 90 11:39:19 EST
From an article by Angus Phillips in this morning's Washington (DC) Post:

"The American Journal of Public Health recently published results of a
survey of 122 Canadian hockey players showing high levels of carbon
monoxide in the blood of some after games, evidently from skating
vigorously on indoor rinks after gasoline-powered Zamboni ice-cleaning
machines finished dressing the surface."

Well, maybe I won't be quite so anxious to sit at ice level anymore !!
Seriously, perhaps someone with access to this journal might post a more
comprehensive summary - are fans at risk as well as players ??  I can't
imagine this is a big health risk, though I do remember being evacuated
from Snively Arena at UNH some years ago when a refrigerant line 'neath
the ice sprang a leak and began venting ammonia gas into the rink.

Jim