Sender:
From:
George Taber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 90 09:16:37 EST
I couldn't agree more!  The whole idea of "Instant Tradition" has caused much
heartache and many headaches over the many (!) years of my work and life as
a member of a university community.  The numbers of crimes; rude, crude and
ignorant behavior; and, just plain lack of consideration for fellow human
beings that are rationalized away under the cover of "tradition", or "college
high jinks", or "Gee, we were drunk!" are alarming.  All too often these types
of behavior end in tragedy, but AT BEST only serve to perpetuate the mind-set
which contributes to the degredation of our society.  I disagree with a recent
posting which stated that hockey is played for the entertainment of students.
Hockey is played, first-of-all, for The Game, and next for the players.  The
rest of us share in the excitement and make the whole thing fun, not to mention
pay some of the bills!  However, none of us, "even" students, º-<) has ANY
right to interfere with either the game or the players, let alone to attempt
to turn games into circuses.  Bye for now,  George Taber.