Sender:
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1992 11:49:50 EST
Univ of Michigan notes:

  Senior defenseman Doug Evans seriously injured a knee in the quarter-final
victory over NMU.  I haven't confirmed it, but it looked like a season and/
or career ending injury.  Evans is one of Michigan's four seniors actively
playing (others are forwards Denny Felsner, Mike Helber and Ted Kramer).
Evans should easily win Michigan's Most Improved Player award, as he is
having his finest season.
  Hobey Baker candidate Denny Felsner is still within striking distance
of several Michigan records.  Felsner is 41-52-93 through 43 games.  The
Michigan records are 43-56-99 by Dave Debol (43 goals shared by Debol and
current Wolverine coach Red Berenson).  Felsner could become the first
Wolverine to register a 100-point season.

Dwayne Norris notes:

  I'M NOT NORRIS BASHING, BUT...
  Glen Keeney pointed out that Norris and White have been together all
season (both having tremendous years!).  On the other hand, Michigan's
Denny Felsner has been experimented with practically every forward on the
UM roster.  Last season's formidable line of Felsner, fellow All-American
David Roberts and Mark Ouimet hasn't clicked (nor had much of a chance
to).  Felsner spends most of his time with sophomores Brian Wiseman and
David Oliver.

On statistics:

  Both are my degrees are in statistics, so it's been interesting to follow
the statistical discussion going on in hockey-L.  I don't want to interject
much, frankly I'm just too lazy to get involved.  I will, however, pass on
a familiar statistical proverb:
        Statistics doesn't lie, but statisticians may.
  Probabilities are fun to play with, but the desired outcomes can often
be generated by manipulating the assumptions.  Please don't work in this
direction.

On the Michigan-NMU penalties:

  I hasten to say this, because it may be largely a result of bias.  With
that forward, I feel that NMU deserved the extra penalties they received
last weekend.  It would have been nice to see who could win 60 minutes of
5-on-5 hockey, but my ONE GAME impression of NMU is that they could never
go more than 10 minutes without a penalty.  NMU and Michigan seemed to have
similar styles.  I don't define either of them as a cheap/dirty team, but
they both do A LOT of holding, clutching, grabbing, etc.  They both play
a physical game as well.  While Michigan doesn't discriminate (they hold
everyone on the other team), NMU seemed to be going overboard on Felsner.
Denny received several penalties for retaliating, but IMHO, NMU got of
light considering they hit him with everything but the kitchen sink (and
I'm not too sure about that even!).
  This is exactly the opposite impression I have after seeing Minnesota
play three games.  The Gophers are actually too gentile for hockey.  I'd
thoroughly enjoy watching them for an entire season because I honestly
really like the team.  As someone pointed out earlier though, their style
is not conducive to the physical game often needed in the post-season.
LSSU did not outhit them into defeat, but I think that they could have if
they weren't as successful in skating right through the Minnesota defense.

On Albany:

  Finally, to Garrett and everyone else on their way to the phinal phour,
Yes - I will be there.  I don't know what my seats are, but I'll try to
look up as many of the others as I can.  I'll also do my best to swing by
the Hockey-L gathering on Thursday.  C-YA.

John
UMich