Sender:
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1992 16:34:26 -0500
It's hard to "root" for Minnesota or Wisconsin or Michigan State when
we rarely see them, and have no tangible way to distinguish between
them. I'm sure "westerners" feel the same way about Clarkson or St.
Lawrence or Cornell. All those New York teams look alike...

When I see St. Lawrence play in Providence this weekend, I'll
probably be rooting for them at least a little, just because of
familiarity (and perhaps there's some subconscious feeling to the
effect of: when ECAC teams do well in the NCAAs, the prestige of all
ECAC teams incrementally improves - at least it isn't hurt).  But if
the other team falls behind 4-0, I'll bet my "allegience" will shift
to the underdog, just out of a desire to see a good game.

I wouldn't call it fickle to get behind opposing players for whom
you've gained respect after a long, hard-fought season. So St.
Lawrence beat Cornell in the ECAC Final this year. It will be all the
sweeter to sweep them next year... but am I supposed to dislike them
outside of the context of competition against my team?

Greg
Boston
Let's Go Red!
Just nine forwards away from a terrific team!

P.S.
Sure, there's one team out there that I ALWAYS root against - but
that's derivative of my opinion of the school itself - so I'd even
root against them in tiddly-winks, basketball, or some other
inconsequential pastime.

(Apologies to the winkers among you.)