Sender:
From:
Pat Gonzales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:58:50 -0400
[I'm on digest so I just got this Wed. morning...]

About the U of Kentucky's ice hockey team:
-------
Scott Quakkelaar commented:
i was there in 1994 with the georgia tech hockey club, and they had a
packed house.  of course, their "house" is little more than a
recreational ice-skating rink.  but their support was great.
-------

As a Lexington, KY resident and a U of KY employee, I have gone to a few
Cool Cats games. They are the third biggest sports draw at the University
of Kentucky, behind (predictably) men's basketball and football. And their
rink continues to sell out, even before there was the Ashley Judd poster.
:-) Of course the rink is a community rink, has bleachers only on one side,
and 98 percent of the watchers are students, but they're very loud, and do
a wonderful job of razzing the opposition. (I haven't yet taught them the
black hole cheer, though.)

They have had success in Div. II ACHA in the recent past, and have only
four or five losses this season -- I think to some of those Division I ACHA
teams. But I will admit that the top-tier Minnesota high school champion
could probably beat these guys. :-) They _have_ been far better than the
opposition in the games I watched this year.

As far as I know, Ashley Judd has never been to a hockey game. She did the
poster as a favor for a friend of a friend.  There *is* some talk about a
reprise of the poster (which was a schedule giveaway to fans) for next
season. If that  happens, I will certainly let y'all know. (I, personally,
would prefer future NFL first-round draft choice Tim Couch. :-) )

Pat Gonzales
University Press of Kentucky